Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Rats - Lice Prevention?

My rat Squishy unfortunately has lice. He was purchased from a local Petco store two weeks ago. Along with his lice infestation, he also came with a mycorplasma infection (a serious upper respitory infection that can scar the lungs of rats, and if left untreated can be fatal). The mycroplasma is under control with the use of antibiotics, but my question is regarding the lice. I gave him his first dose of ivermectin (orally) yesterday afternoon, and soon after the lice have already begun to die. I've taken extra precautions and have froze everything (with the exception of his water bottle, and of course him) for 48 hours to kill off any lice that may have hitched a ride. My question is, after he is done with his treatment over the next three weeks, how would I go about preventing an invfestation again? I am taking into account the fact that he was neglected at Petco (along w/ his littermates), and had a very low immunesystem which allowed these little buggers to thrive on him..(cont)

No comments:

Post a Comment